Tuesday, June 24, 2008

July Vision Article

Rev. Jeffrey T. Howard

July Vision Article

Eagle Rock Presbyterian Church

June 24, 2008

Last month the Presbyterian Church (USA) selected a new moderator, Rev. Bruce Reyes-Chow, who will lead us for the next two years. He is young, passionate about church growth, and is excited about the future God is leading us into. Here is some what he had to say:

“As I stand here before you today after having lived the life of “candidate for moderator” over the past six months, I can tell you that more than once I have said to myself, both out loud and in my head, “What are you thinking?” The very idea that I, this 39-year-old, father of three, earring wearing, pastor of some funky urban new church should or could stand for moderator is utterly ridiculous.

And then I think about my family.

I think about my grandparents who, in the 1940’s, came to the United States from the Philippines, gifted me with my Presbyterian roots and, through their work, sacrifice and hope, dreamt for the next generation, blessings even beyond their own imagination.

They would not think this is ridiculous at all.

Despite great cultural and social obstacles of the day, when it came to the future of their family, they embodied the words that were spoken to Abraham as he and Sarah balked at the possibility of birthing the future at such an advanced age. They were reminded that, nothing is too hard or too wondrous for God …

As I stand before you my friends, my family, our church, despite the obstacles in our path, the questions we are afraid to ask, the human brokenness that gets in our way, I would not be standing here today if I did not believe that God has great things in store for this Presbyterian family.

For if we simply open ourselves up to the possibilities of the future, we will not only dream our wildest dreams, but together, compelled by the grace-filled life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, we will know, live and share those dreams with one another and with the world.

For again, my sisters and brothers, my Presbyterian family, as we move into the future, believe at the core of your soul, nothing, nothing, nothing is too hard or wondrous for God. AMEN.”[1]



[1] Adapted from http://www.mod.reyes-chow.com/2008/06/opening-speech.html?ref=nf

No comments:

Post a Comment