Sunday, October 26, 2008

Stewardship Letter to Eagle Rock Presbyterian

I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my supplications. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live. What shall I return to the LORD for all his bounty to me? I will offer to you a thanksgiving sacrifice and call on the name of the LORD. I will pay my vows to the LORD in the presence of all his people, in the courts of the house of the LORD, in your midst, O Jerusalem. Praise the LORD! (Psalm 116: 1, 2, 12, 17-19).

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Years ago Presbyterian pastors would tell their congregations to “count their blessings” as a spiritual practice. Every evening people would bow their heads in prayer and count up all the ways God had blessed them that day. Sadly, this practice has gone out of fashion as have so many other things we used to do. But I think “counting your blessings” should make a comeback. We should end each day by prayerfully remembering all the blessings that God has provided us.

By counting my blessings, I know that I have been richly blessed by the Lord. God has given me a wonderful church in a beautiful community and the opportunity to follow my calling to preach and teach the Word of God. I love God for all of my blessings. Because we have been blessed so much my wife and I made a difficult decision last year. We decided to tithe to the church. Each month we give the church one tenth of our income. As you might imagine this makes our personal budget very tight. But it is truly a sacrifice of thanksgiving because tithing brings us more joy than a few extra dollars in the bank ever could. We keep counting our blessings every day.

The Psalmist asks, “What shall I return to the LORD for all his bounty to me"? This is our question too. What shall we return to the Lord for all our blessings? I challenge each of you to prayerfully ask God what percentage of your income God wants you to give to the church as a matter of faith. If God says “10%” rejoice because you will know that you have been richly blessed. Start counting your blessings.

Praise the LORD!


Jeff Howard
Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment