Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sermon – Mark 15:33-39 – Palm Sunday - The Son of God

Rev. Jeffrey T. Howard
Sermon – Mark 15:33-39 – Palm Sunday - The Son of God
Eagle Rock Presbyterian Church
April 5, 2009

Listen to this sermon.

We have arrived at Palm Sunday and Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem, and our Lenten series tracing the events in Jesus’ life during Holy Week, the time between Palm Sunday and Easter continues. We have been on a very exciting journey. We sat with Judas as he watched Jesus be anointed for death. We joined the disciples around a Passover meal. We prayed with Jesus in Gethsemane and were there as Jesus was arrested. Then we participated in trials before the Sanhedrin, a slave girl, and Pontius Pilate, and last Thursday at our Lenten Vesper Service we witnessed the crucifixion which according to Mark had more in common with a coronation of a king than an execution of a criminal. Today we will be with Jesus as he dies. This Thursday evening at 7PM we will accompany Joseph of Arimathea as he buries Jesus in a tomb. Then next Sunday we will see the exciting conclusion to the Gospel of Mark.

But now let us bow our heads and pray. Father in heaven, we have been following your son. As his death approaches help us as we grieve. Help us to understand the meaning of Jesus’ suffering and death on the cross. And bless us with your saving grace and transformation as we listen to your word today. We pray this in the name of our crucified Lord. Amen.

Mark 15:33-39 33 When it was noon, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. 34 At three o'clock Jesus cried out with a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?" which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" 35 When some of the bystanders heard it, they said, "Listen, he is calling for Elijah." 36 And someone ran, filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on a stick, and gave it to him to drink, saying, "Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to take him down." 37 Then Jesus gave a loud cry and breathed his last. 38 And the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. 39 Now when the centurion, who stood facing him, saw that in this way he breathed his last, he said, "Truly this man was God's Son

In Genesis chapter 1 the Bible begins with creation. This is what it says.

Genesis 1:1-3 NRS Genesis 1:1 In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, 2 the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. 3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.

At noon on the day of the crucifixion of Jesus the light that God had created on that first day was extinguished and the world was once again in darkness.

Chapter 2 of Genesis deals with the creation of women and men. This is what it says.

Genesis 2:7 7 then the LORD God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being.

At 3pm on the day of the crucifixion of Jesus the spirit of God left Jesus and he died returning to the dust of the world.

In Exodus God gave his people a commandment to place a curtain between them and his holy presence. This is what it says.

Exodus 26:31-33 31 You shall make a curtain of blue, purple, and crimson yarns, and of fine twisted linen; it shall be made with cherubim skillfully worked into it. 32 You shall hang it on four pillars of acacia overlaid with gold, which have hooks of gold and rest on four bases of silver. 33 You shall hang the curtain under the clasps, and bring the ark of the covenant in there, within the curtain; and the curtain shall separate for you the holy place from the most holy.

At the moment of Jesus’ death this curtain was torn in two thus removing all barriers that separate us from God.

As Jesus approached death he prayed a prayer which he probably memorized when we was growing up. This prayer was written by Jesus’ ancestor David, and is recorded for us in the 22nd Psalm. This is what Jesus prayed.

Psalm 22:1-31 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning? 2 O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer; and by night, but find no rest.

Jesus in his agony prayed a lament letting his Father know the depths of his suffering. But then he remembered God, with whom he had existed from before the foundations of the world. This is what he said.

3 Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. 4 In you our ancestors trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them. 5 To you they cried, and were saved; in you they trusted, and were not put to shame.

But Jesus was shaken from his prayer by those at the base of the cross mocking him. Jesus said,

6 But I am a worm, and not human; scorned by others, and despised by the people. 7 All who see me mock at me; they make mouths at me, they shake their heads;

Then Jesus remembered the teachings of his youth that God is faithful and just. This is what he said:

8 "Commit your cause to the LORD; let him deliver-- let him rescue the one in whom he delights!" 9 Yet it was you who took me from the womb; you kept me safe on my mother's breast. 10 On you I was cast from my birth, and since my mother bore me you have been my God.

Jesus watched as the religious leaders of his day taunted him. So he turned to his father and asked for help.

. 11 Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help. 12 Many bulls encircle me, strong bulls of Bashan surround me; 13 they open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring lion.

As the pain increased Jesus cried out:
14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast; 15 my mouth is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death.

Then Jesus noticed the Roman guards.
16 For dogs are all around me; a company of evildoers encircles me. My hands and feet have shriveled; 17 I can count all my bones. They stare and gloat over me; 18 they divide my clothes among themselves, and for my clothing they cast lots.

Sensing that his end was near, Jesus cried out to God.
19 But you, O LORD, do not be far away! O my help, come quickly to my aid! 20 Deliver my soul from the sword, my life from the power of the dog! 21 Save me from the mouth of the lion! From the horns of the wild oxen you have rescued me.

Then Jesus made a promised to God and his future church.
22 I will tell of your name to my brothers and sisters; in the midst of the congregation I will praise you: 23 You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you offspring of Jacob, glorify him; stand in awe of him, all you offspring of Israel! 24 For he did not despise or abhor the affliction of the afflicted; he did not hide his face from me, but heard when I cried to him. 25 From you comes my praise in the great congregation; my vows I will pay before those who fear him.

Then Jesus then made a prophecy about his church.
26 The poor shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek him shall praise the LORD. May your hearts live forever! 27 All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD; and all the families of the nations shall worship before him. 28 For dominion belongs to the LORD, and he rules over the nations.

And finally as Jesus was dying, God revealed to him his next mission to bring salvation to those who had died.
29 To him, indeed, shall all who sleep in the earth bow down; before him shall bow all who go down to the dust, and I shall live for him.

And with his dying breath Jesus talked about us. This is what he said.
30 Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord, 31 and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn, saying that he has done it.

A Roman centurion was a witness to all of this. He saw the light of the world darken. He knew that the curtain separating us from God was torn in two. He listened as Jesus prayed his final prayer. And he watched as Jesus breathed his last. After witnessing all of this, this Roman centurion realized that what Jesus has said was true. Jesus is the Son of God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment