Saturday, June 29, 2013

Sermon – Psalm 42 and 43 – Longing for God

Rev. Jeffrey T. Howard
Pitts Creek and Beaver Dam Churches
Sermon – Psalm 42 and 43 – Longing for God
June 23, 2013

We have been looking at the Book of Psalms, and talking about what the psalmist says about worship. We started off with the idea that worship prepares us for the storms of life. Worship is something we and all of creation were created to do. The god we worship is the creator God who faithfully heals the sick and feeds the hungry as we are called to do in his name. And when we experience gloom God is there to make our lives bright. Today we will ask the question, “Why do we worship?” But first, let's pray.

Grant unto us, O Lord, to be occupied in the mysteries of thy heavenly wisdom, with true progress in piety, to thy glory and our own edification. Amen.” (John Calvin)

Psalm 42:1-3 NIV Psalm 42:1 For the director of music. A maskil of the Sons of Korah. As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. 2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? 3 My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"

The reason we come to worship our creator is because we have a deep longing in our hearts which can only be satisfied by coming into God's presence. The people of God in the 6th century before Christ were unable to worship. They had been exiled from their homes in Jerusalem to Babylon, and their temple had been destroyed by their captors. The government did not want them to worship their old God. Rather, they were encouraged to worship the official gods of Babylon. But they longed for their own God just as a thirsty deer longs for a stream of water.

This feeling of longing for God is common. Bishop Augustine put it this way “Our souls are restless till they find their rest in you, O God.” Mother Teresa talked about the, “dark night of the soul.” And Jesus cried out from the cross, “Why have you forsaken me?” If you reflect for a moment, all of you will remember times when God seemed to be missing. What do we do at times like these?

Psalm 42:4 4 These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng.

So according to the psalmist, whenever God seems to be missing, we can draw on a rich reservoir of memories of worship experiences from our past when God was near. This is why worship is so important. It helps us lock in these memories so that we have them when we need them. And this is why it is so important to bring children to worship. As children grow they need to learn the Bible stories and how we worship when God is near so that they too will have these memories when eventually God seems far away. But remembering is not the only arrow in our quiver. We have something else. Listen again to the psalmist.

Psalm 42:5-6 5 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and 6 my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon-- from Mount Mizar.

So in addition to relying on our memories God also fills us with hope. Whenever God seems far away, when God is at his farthest, God will fill us with memories and hope that will sustain us until we are able to worship once again. So what can we do when God seems so far away? Listen again.

Psalm 42:7-10 7 Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me. 8 By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me-- a prayer to the God of my life. 9 I say to God my Rock, "Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?" 10 My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, "Where is your God?"

When God seems to have abandoned us we still have the privilege of turning toward him in prayer and song, and offering up our complaints. So God uses our memories, fills us with hope and leads us to prayer so that we can find him when he seems so far away.

I would like to share with you a story about a prominent scholar who found himself longing for God. Dr. John Mulder grew up in a Presbyterian church where he was baptized and confirmed. He was ordained as a pastor in the Presbyterian church and both of his children were baptized in a Presbyterian church. Dr. Mulder taught for seven years at Princeton Theological Seminary and then became President of Louisville Presbyterian Seminary. Through most of his life, God never seemed too far away.

But then he did some shameful things. Doctors later told him that his behavior changed because of his undiagnosed bi-polar disease and his alcoholism. Dr. Mulder lost his position and his family and found himself in a rehab facility trying to get his life back together. He prayed over and over again asking God for forgiveness, but God seemed very very far away. Listen again to the psalmist.

Psalm 42:11 11 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

After two months in rehab Dr. Mulder finally gave up. He just stopped asking for forgiveness. He just prayed instead, “God, open me up.” It was the only thing he could think of to say to God. Then one morning while he was making breakfast he was surrounded by white light. It was neither frightening nor blinding. Rather the light was warm and embracing. As he stood in the light he heard no sounds until finally he heard a voice which said, “You are not alone.” God was always with Dr. Mulder. God never went away. God just seemed to be missing because Dr. Mulder was focusing on himself and his problems. It wasn't until he focused on the hope God was offering him, built on the foundation of his memories that he was finally able to see the God who had never left.

So too with us. God never leaves us. Even though he may seem so far away he is really right here with us. All we have to do is to remember what he has done for us in the past and accept the hope he is offering. Then we will experience God's presence with us. Listen to the psalmist.

Psalm 43:1-4 NIV Psalm 43:1 Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation; rescue me from deceitful and wicked men. 2 You are God my stronghold. Why have you rejected me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy? 3 Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. 4 Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God.

Since Dr. Mulder's experience with God his life has turn around. Most of the people he hurt have forgiven him. He had been reconciled with friends and family. His wife has taken him back after realizing the sorrow he had experienced for what he had done. For years he had thought about Jesus with his brain. But after meeting Jesus personally, Dr. Mulder now knows that our faith is more than just asking for forgiveness. Although repentance is important, what God really wants is a relationship with us. Jesus put it this way:

Matthew 7:7-8 7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

And so whenever God seems to be far away, turn to your memories of a time when God was close. Be filled with the hope God wants to give you. And accept the opportunity to turn to God in prayer. Do these things and you will realize that God is always there and wants to have a relationship with you. Accept this offer and your life will never be alone.


Lord God, whenever our hearts long for your presence, open us up so they we may received your forgiveness, love and hope. Help us to always know that you are near. We pray this in the name of your son. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment