Friday, August 30, 2013

Sermon – Psalm 71 – A Lifetime of Faith

Rev. Jeffrey T. Howard
Pitts Creek and Beaver Dam Churches
Sermon – Psalm 71 – A Lifetime of Faith
August 25, 2013

There are people in our church who have lived lives of faith for many years. They have had lifetimes of worship, Bible study, prayer, and experiences of God. They provide for us a rich resource of faithfulness which we can draw on just by talking with them. I treasure the time I spend with people in their 80s and 90s in our congregation because I learn so much from them about living a life of faith. I urge you to talk with your parents, aunts and uncles, and the people who have sustained this church for decades and learn from them what it means to have a lifetime of faith. We are privileged today to hear from a psalmist who has lived a faithful life into old age. We will get to his or her wisdom. But first, let's pray.

“Grant unto us, O Lord, to be occupied in the mysteries of thy heavenly wisdom, with true progress in piety, to thy glory and our own edification. Amen.” (John Calvin)

NIV Psalm 71 1 In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. 2 In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me; turn your ear to me and save me. 3 Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. 4 Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of those who are evil and cruel.


The psalmist starts in prayer. Prayer is something she had done for years and years and so it come naturally. She cries out to God for salvation. From what does she need to be saved? We don't know. It could be health problems, a stroke, cancer, diverticulitis, or Alzheimer’s disease. Maybe she has financial problems. The value of her investments may have fallen. She may be unable to sell the house she cannot care for anymore. Maybe she has problems with family, a child, grandchild or great grandchild who doesn't call anymore, or a spouse who is sick or recently died. Whatever it is bothering the psalmist she knows that she can always turn to God in prayer. Let's listen in.


5 For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth. 6 From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you. 7 I have become a sign to many; you are my strong refuge. 8 My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long.

So the psalmist has lived a life of worship. Since she was born her mother and grandmother must have taught her to always rely on God's saving power. And she has been taught to praise God continually in worship. And now, in her old age, people see her faith and how she has relied on God. They see her praising God with every breath she takes. But now the psalmist is getting older. She is becoming frail and afraid. Listen to what she says.


9 Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone.10 For my enemies speak against me; those who wait to kill me conspire together. 11 They say, “God has forsaken him; pursue him and seize him, for no one will rescue him.”
And so, frail and afraid of her life coming to an end, she does what she has always done. She turns to God in prayer.

12 Do not be far from me, my God; come quickly, God, to help me. 13 May my accusers perish in shame may those who want to harm me be covered with scorn and disgrace.

And so she does what she has learned to do from a lifetime of faith to ask God for help, and to depend on God faithfulness in a time of trouble. Maybe she is in the hospital for yet another surgery, but she knows that God is with her and is never far away. And so she is filled with the thing that only a lifetime of faithfulness can provide, hope. And the proper responded to the hope that comes from God is praise.

14 As for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more.

The psalmist has placed herself in God's hands. The doctors have done everything they can do. Surgery and medicines can only go so far. But the psalmist is filled with hope and vows one day to return to church to tell her family and friends about all the wonderful things God has done for her.

15 My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds, of your saving acts all day long— though I know not how to relate them all. 16 I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord; I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone.

As the psalmist dreams of the day when she can return to church to tell everyone what God has done for her, she remember all the things God has done for her during her long life.

17 Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. 18 Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.

And so, filled with hope that God will save her, she longs for the day when she can tell her children, and their children all that God has done for her. This longing to share the stories of God are common in people who have lived lives of faithfulness. Those who are in hospitals, or nursing homes, or just can't get out of the house, want to share their stories with all of you. I get to hear these stories as their pastor. But you can hear them too just by visiting the shut-ins. Listen as the psalmist tells about the God she worships.
19 Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens, you who have done great things. Who is like you, God? 20 Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. 21 You will increase my honor and comfort me once more.

Will we have this strong faith when we reach old age? As we approach death will we be so confident in the resurrection from the dead that our fears will be replaced with hope? This will happen to us if we live a life of faithfulness. And we do this with daily prayer, regular Bible study and worshiping every Sunday. Do this and at the end of your life your fears will be replaced by hope and you will sing God's praises.

Finally, listen to the psalmist as she sings her praises to God.

22 I will praise you with the harp for your faithfulness, my God; I will sing praise to you with the lyre, Holy One of Israel. 23 My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you— I whom you have delivered. 24 My tongue will tell of your righteous acts all day long, for those who wanted to harm me have been put to shame and confusion.


Father in Heaven we praise you and thank you for all the blessings we have received. Help us to live lives of faithfulness so that when we approach the end of our days our fears will be replaced by hope in your faithfulness. And we will proclaim our praises of you to the next generation of those who are leading faithful lives. In the name of your son, our savior, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment