Friday, October 20, 2017

Sermon Philippians 3:4b-14 Gain and Loss

Rev. Jeffrey T. Howard
New Covenant Presbyterian Church
Sermon Philippians 3:4b-14 Gain and Loss
October 8, 2017

Before we get started today, I would like to share with you a story of God grace in the midst of evil violence.   Last Sunday, a very evil person shot automatic weapons out a broken window of a hotel in Las Vegas.   In his sight were thousands of people attending a music concert.   He killed 58  people and wounded hundreds more before killing himself.
We know that evil exists in this world, and this episode proves it.  The question that many people are asking is, “Why did God not prevent this?”  I have no answer for that question.  You will have to ask God yourselves in prayer.   What I do know is that God uses evil for good.   And that is precisely what God did in Las Vegas last week.
Taylor Benge and his sister were attending the concert that night.  When shots rang out they ran for cover.  Taylor’s sister jumped on her brother to protect him from bullets.  She calmed Taylor by telling him that she loved him.   Both Taylor and his sister survived and the next day Taylor was interviewed by CNN.  Here is what he said, “I was agnostic going into that concert, and I’m a firm believer in God now, because there’s no way that all of that happened, and that I made it, and I was blessed enough to still be here alive talking to you today.”  God used the evil of that night to bring Taylor to faith.  Let’s pray.

As the sound of gunfire again echoes over another American city,
we seek the grounding power of your love and compassion.
As death rained down from above in the dark of night,
We pray this day for the Sun of Righteousness to arise with healing in its wings,
and rain mercy, grace, and peace upon our broken people.

So many have been lost: brothers and sisters, neighbors and friends
gathered in the unity of music, scattered by evil and hatred.
We pray for solace for all who loved them.
We pray for those who have been spared and those whose lives are changed forever
that they may find healing, sustenance, and strength in the hard days to come.

We give thanks for first responders:
who ran toward gunfire, rather than away
who dropped everything to save the wounded and comfort survivors
We pray for doctors and nurses and mental health providers
who repair what has been broken
who to try to  bring healing and hope
in the face of the unchecked principalities and powers of violence.
We ask for sustaining courage for those who are suffering and traumatized.

We cry, how long, O Lord?
But the same words echo back, again and again
as if the question comes to us from You— how long, how long, how long…
In the wake of an event that should be impossible to contemplate
but which has become all too common in our experience,
open our eyes, break our hearts,
and turn our hands to the movements of your Spirit,
that our anger and sorrow may unite in service to build a reign of peace,
where the lion and the lamb may dwell together,
and terror no longer holds sway over our common life.
In the name of Christ, our healer and our Light, we pray, Amen.
(https://pda.pcusa.org/pda/resource/prayer-las-vegas/)
Last week we looked at the great Christian hymn Paul used to remind the Philippians that Jesus had humbled himself to be with us.   And if we are to follow this Jesus as disciples, we must humble ourselves as well.   Humility is a Christian virtue.
This hymn also talks about Jesus exaltation.   Jesus has returned to heaven with all the powers he had before as God and with a new title.   

Philippians 2:9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
   and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
   in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
   to the glory of God the Father.
So, the exalted Jesus was given a new title, Lord.  And our responsibility is to bow to him because this will glorify God.    But what does it mean, to bow to Jesus?   It means a little more than just bending at the waist.    Let’s turn to Philippians 3 and see what it means to bow down to our Lord.

Philippians 3:4b “If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.
Paul’s resume is pretty impressive.   He must have been an excellent student.    As a young man, he was sent to Jerusalem to study at the foot of the prophet Gamalia.  He memorized the Torah, instructions for living, contained in the first five books of our Old Testament.   He learned how to apply these rules in every conceivable situation.   He was Pharisee destined to sit on the ruling council in Jerusalem.  And he was passionate about the faith, persecuting all heresy, including the early Christian church.  But then he encountered Jesus and his life changed.

7 But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ.

Paul gave up everything he had been trained to do.  He gave up his career.   He gave up his family.  He gave up his privilege and position.  He gave up his life as he knew it.   And he did all of this for one purpose, to bow down to Christ as Lord.

I know a little bit about this.   As my call to pastoral ministry became stronger I knew that my life would change significantly.    I had a good relationship with my family, but none of them had strong faith, and none of them went to church regularly.   I knew these when I became a pastor this would put a strain on all these relationships, and it has.    I also was active in organizations all over Washington DC.    I knew that they organizations were doing goods things and were a source of friends for me.  And I had an ongoing business with customers and suppliers.  But I knew that when I became pastor I would be leaving all this behind.   I would be starting a new life.   So in 2004 I began saying goodbyes to friends and family and went to California to begin a new life in service to my Lord, Jesus Christ.   I left my old life behind and made a fresh start.

If you asked Paul or if you asked me why either of us did what we did, here is how we would respond.

10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

That was our motivation.   Paul and I left what we had to strive for something much better.    We wanted a participation in Christ.   We wanted to do what Christ wants us to do.   And if that means that we suffer for do it, so be it.   We will endure suffering because the reward is so great.   And what is that reward?   It is nothing less new life today and eternal life in the future, resurrection.

But sometimes it seems like I made the wrong choice.   If I had remained in DC I would still be doing what I was doing.  I would still have many friends.   I would probably be making a lot more money and living at a higher level than I now do?   Looking back on the transition I made 13 years ago, I sometimes wonder if I would still make the same decision.   Paul endured far more hardships than I ever will and he responded in this way.

12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

So we press on, confident that following the Lord Jesus as a disciple is worth the cost.  That’s my story.  What about you?   Do you accept Jesus as Lord?  This is something we say with our lips to join the church.   But do we actually do it?  And specifically, what would it mean to follow Jesus as Lord?  At a minimum, it would mean sacrificing whatever else there is to do on Sunday mornings to be here in church worshiping our Lord.  It would mean sacrificing some of our spendings in order to contribute a percentage of our income to the ministry of the church.  If would mean sacrificing some of our time to attend Bible studies, or teach Bible stories to kids, or mentor a youth, or serve a hot meal to someone who is hungry.   Sacrificing our time and our money would be necessary to follow our Lord Jesus Christ.    This is a high cost.   Is it worth it?   For a transformed life with Christ today and eternal life with Christ for the future I think it is worth it.  What is a little time and money compared to the vast benefits of eternal life with Jesus Christ?   Here is how Paul put it.

15 All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

17 Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do. 18 For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. 20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

That’s the offer.  Do you want to enjoy all the benefits of a transformed life today and eternal life tomorrow?   If so then it is time to bow down to our Lord Jesus Christ.  I urge you, friends, to accept the offer.   Give up some of your time and money.   Come to church regularly for worship and Bible study.   Give to church a percentage of your income.  And begin your eternal life today in the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ.

   Let’s pray.   Father in heaven we thank you for exalting Jesus Christ to the position of Lord.   We bow down to him today pledging our obedience.   We are aware of the high cost of this decision.   It will cost us in both time and money.   But the gain of the promise of eternal life is so great we enthusiastically accept your offer.  We will sacrifice some our time and some of our money to worship and learn more about you and to support the ministry of your church.   We pray all of this the name of Jesus our Lord.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment