Thursday, February 25, 2021

Grace and Peace Episode 24

Rev. Jeffrey T. Howard
Grace and Peace Episode 24
Presbyterian Church of Easton
February 23, 2021

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:2

Heidelberg Catechism

48Q.  If his humanity is not present wherever his divinity is, then aren’t the two natures of Christ separated from each other?
A. Certainly not. Since divinity is not limited and is present everywhere, it is evident that Christ’s divinity is surely beyond the bounds of the humanity that has been taken on, but at the same time, his divinity is in and remains personally united to his humanity.

49Q.  How does Christ’s ascension to heaven benefit us?
A. First, he is our advocate in heaven in the presence of his Father.  Second, we have our own flesh in heaven as a sure pledge that Christ our head will also take us, his members, up to himself.  Third, he sends his Spirit to us on earth as a corresponding pledge.  By the Spirit’s power, we seek not earthly things but the things above, where Christ is, sitting at God’s right hand.

“Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.” Colossians 3:1-2

I love to watch the news and see what is happening in the world.   Many people are addicted to cable news and watch all of the recent political drama.   We had a mob at the Capitol and the impeachment of a former president.  For news junkies, it doesn’t get any better.

But I have found that watching endless news is not helpful.  The same stories get repeated over and over again.  I just seem to get angrier the longer I watch.   So a few years ago I canceled my cable subscription.  I cut the cord.  

Since then I have had more time for reading.  Although I still watch some political shows on the internet I can now pick up a Christian book and have time to read it.  I have been reading some classics like The Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan and some newer works by I J Packer and N T Wright.   I love the writings of C S Lewis.   I have found that I am much happier focusing on Jesus in heaven than on whatever is happening in Washington.

So I urge you to turn off the cable news and focus on spiritual things.  Read your Bible instead.  Attend our Wednesday morning Bible studies.   Worship with us on Sundays.  Focus on what Jesus is doing right now in heaven rather than what the politicians are doing in Washington.  You will be happier if you do.  Let’s pray.

Heavenly Father, help us to set our minds on Jesus in heaven rather than on earthly things.   Help us to turn off the news and start learning more about you.  This we pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment