Sunday, September 19, 2021

Grace and Peace Episode 50

Rev. Jeffrey T. Howard
Grace and Peace Episode 50
Presbyterian Church of Easton
September 12, 2021


Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:2


Heidelberg Catechism

104Q.  What is God’s will for you in the fifth commandment?

A. That I honor, love, and be loyal to my father and mother and  all those in authority over me; 1that I submit myself with proper obedience to all their good teaching and discipline; and also that I be patient with their failings—for through them God chooses to rule us.


Deuteronomy 5:16 “Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you.


The fifth commandment requires us to honor our parents.   If a parent brought us to church, if they taught us to pray and read the Bible, if by their words and actions we became faithful disciples of Jesus Christ, then we are required to honor them by continuing to do what they taught us and by raising our own children in the faith.   Here is how Solomon put it in the Book of Proverbs 1:8 “Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction, and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.  9 They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.”  I honor my Dad by continuing in the faith he gave me when I was growing up.


We also must care for their physical needs as they grow old.   When my Dad moved into a retirement facility, I took his old furniture.  His old bedroom furniture is in my guest room.   And he knows he is welcome in my home anytime.   But my Dad is independent.   At age 94 he still drives and has a 97-year-old girlfriend he takes out on dates.    Living with me would crimp his bachelor lifestyle.   He likes to have fun.   But I know that one day he will need more care.    I have to be ready to give him whatever he needs.  So by taking care of his needs and continuing in the faith he gave me,  I honor my father.  Let’s pray.


Heavenly Father, thank you for the people who have guided us in our spiritual journeys.   Bless all who guided and taught us as we grew into maturity in the faith.  Bless our parents as they grow older with good health.   Bless our children with faith in you.   We ask all of this in the name of the one who honored you, your son, Jesus Christ.   Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment