Sunday, January 30, 2022

Grace and Peace Episode Season 2 Episode 2

Rev. Jeffrey T. Howard
Grace and Peace Episode Season 2 Episode 2
Presbyterian Church of Easton
January 20, 2022

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 1:7)

Romans 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. 9 God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10 in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God’s will the way may be opened for me to come to you.

11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— 12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith. 13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.  14 I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15 That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome.

Paul begins his letter with gratitude for all the ways God has blessed his ministry.   He is thankful that God has given the Roman community the gift of faith.   And he is thankful that news of this faith in Christ, in the Roman church, has spread throughout the world.   

Rome is the capital of a vast empire and Christianity is spreading rapidly throughout that empire.  For all of this Paul is very thankful.  But Paul has been unable to visit because Jews had been expelled from Rome.   Only now with the edict lifted may Paul go there.

Then Paul describes the nature of his ministry.   It is based on his own spiritual growth which has occured because of the spiritual disciplines of preaching and  praying.  The content of his preaching is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.   His prayers are for Christians around the world, and for opportunities to preach the Gospel in new places, like Rome.   Paul specifically is praying that he will be able to visit the Roman Church, a church he did not start and has yet to visit.

The reason Paul wants to visit the Roman Church is so that they may encourage each other.   When Paul visits the Roman church he will bless them with his preaching and prayers.   The church will bless Paul with stories of how their faith has grown as they serve people in their own communities.  Let’s pray.

Heavenly Father we pray for the Christians in this church that they will be blessed by my preaching and prayers.   Help us Lord to encourage one another in our time together.   We pray in Jesus’ name.  Amen.   


No comments:

Post a Comment