Saturday, July 26, 2014

Sermon Isaiah 44:6-8 The First and Last

Rev. Jeffrey T. Howard
Beaver Dam and Pitts Creek Churches
Sermon Isaiah 44:6-8 The First and Last
July 20, 2014

Let me begin this morning by telling you a story. Madhu is a young man who grew up in a family that worshiped Hindu idols. His father practiced idol worship by pouring milk, rice and water on idols made from stone and wood and metal. His entire family did this. And his father wanted Madhu to worship these idols as well.

But Madhu refused. He consider pouring milk and rice on an idol wasteful. The food could be given to the hungry poor instead. And he noticed that even though his father worshiped these idols he continued to be short-tempered and used foul language. The idols made of stone and wood and metal did not transform the worshiper into a better person. And so for these reasons Madhu rejected the religion of his family.

Madhu then met some Christians who agreed with him about the futility of praying to idols made of stone and wood and metal. They told him that he could pray to Jesus Christ in heaven. They explained that if he confessed his sin, God would forgive him. They told him that if he prayed to Jesus he would be transformed into a more loving person who would care for the poor. Madhu prayed to Jesus and found out that all of this was true. He became a Christian.1

The prophet Isaiah warned us about praying to idols made of stone or wood or metal. We know this. So let's pray to the one true God.

Holy One, I awake into a sense of your presence with me. From time to time today, remind me that each day is a journey into the unknown but that there is nowhere I can go where you are not with me. Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth. Amen.2

In ancient times it was thought that each city and nation had its own God. Israel and Judah had their God, Yahweh. Other nations had their gods too. Each nation expected their God to bless them with prosperity and protect them from enemies. But Yahweh, the God of Israel, was a jealous God. He did not want his people worshiping other gods and idols of stone, wood and metal. He told them, “you shall have no other gods before me.”

Yahweh blessed the Hebrews with peace and prosperity, but he demanded from them obedience to his laws. When these laws were broken repeatedly he withdrew his presence from them and allowed them to be conquered by the Babylonians. The prophets told the people of Yahweh to hold firm in their faith, study the ancient scrolls, and obey God's law. If they did these thing Yahweh would bless them richly and redeem them from exile in Babylon. Some people believed this. But others were not so sure. They thought that since Babylon had defeated Judah in battle the Babylonian gods must be stronger than Yahweh. God sent Isaiah to speak with them and tell them this.

Isaiah 44:6-8 6 “This is what the Lord says—Israel’s King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. 7 Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come—yes, let them foretell what will come. 8 Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”

As Isaiah walked among God's people in exile he saw them worshiping things made of stone or wood or metal. He told them that these were not gods. There were just things with no power to bless and redeem. Worship and prayer to things made by human hands was worthless. The only god worthy of our prayer and worship is Yahweh who in the beginning created all that there is, and will still be here at the end when all is finished. Why would you worship something of stone, wood or metal made by human hands when you could worship the creator God?

To convince the people, Isaiah challenged them to test the idols. See if they could do what their priests said would do. Give the idols the opportunity to prove themselves. Isaiah knew what would happen. The idols made of stone, wood and metal had no power. Nothing happened. Then Isaiah reminded the people that the one true God had blessed them and protected them in the past. They needed to return to this God, Yahweh, who had proven his power and would keep his promise to bless and redeem. As people turned away from worthless idols Isaiah told them to share their discovery with others. They were to tell other people about the creator God who has the power to bless and redeem.

So what about us? Most of us do not worship Hindu gods. We don't have altars in our homes with objects made of stone, wood and metal. We don't bow down to figurines. But we do have a book which is very important to us. This book is so important that we record our deepest longings and desires in it. We call this book our checkbook. In our checkbooks we list all of the things most important to us, and we place a dollar value for each of these things. We list all the things we have bought made of stone and wood and metal and we enter how much money we spent on each. If we look in our checkbooks we will know how much we value things made of stone, wood and metal, and how much we value God.

If you looked in my checkbook you would see my largest expense is for housing. I live in a house made of wood. Thirty percent of my salary goes to my living expenses. After the living expenses my next largest payment is for the student loan which allowed me to go to Fuller Seminary and become a pastor. I believe that God was calling me to this work, and I am blessed by being a pastor far more than I spend each month on the student loan. After I pay my living expenses and student loan I am free to spend the remainder as I wish. My first discretionary spending is the tithe I give to the church. I give ten percent of my gross income to the church and divide it evenly between Beaver Dam and Pitts Creek. Transportation, entertainment, food and clothing come out of whatever is left.

I can't see into your checkbooks, so I urge you this week to examine them for yourselves. How much do you value things made of stone and wood and metal? And how much do you value the creator God, his Son and his church? Your checkbook will tell you.

Let me finish with a story about giving. Jerry and Stacy Kramer were about to be married and had a conversation about tithing. Stacy was always a believer in tithing. Jerry was not so sure. He suggested giving 5% to the church and 5% to charity. But Stacy insisted that the first 10% had to go to the church. So that's what they did. And since Jerry had a six figured salary as stewardship consultant they lived comfortably. Then Jerry felt God's call to be a pastor.

Jerry and Stacy served some time as missionaries in Tanzania, and then he became pastor of the Free Church of the Annunciation in the Bradmoor neighborhood of New Orleans. A few months later Hurricane Katrina ripped though the community. Six feet of water flooded the church for three weeks. Gangsters came by boat and used the upper floors as a hangout. Jerry and Stacy had been evacuated safely to Baton Rouge and returned to the church a week later. They immediately began organizing relief efforts for the community using a local Walmart parking lot as a distribution point for supplies. He recruited people from his church to deliver the supplies to those in need.

Before the storm Jerry's church was an unnoticed neighborhood church with little impact on the community. After Katrina the church is warmly thought of as a catalyst for the rebuilding of the neighborhood. Jerry and Stacy had made a commitment to God through their tithing and service. God transformed their church into one accomplishing his mission in the community.3

So I urge you to look at your checkbooks and see what your commitments are. Do you spend your time and money on things made of stone, wood or metal? Or do you use your resources to advance the kingdom of God? I think we should start by praying asking God what we should do.

Lord God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, we worship you because you are the only god worthy of worship. We fall short when we worship with our time and money things made of stone and wood and metal. Forgive us we pray. Help us to support your kingdom with our resources. This we pray in your son's name. Amen.

2Feasting on the Word Worship Companion: Liturgies for Year A, Volume 2 © 2014 Westminster John Knox Press p87

3LeBlanc Douglas, Tithing Test Me in This (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2010), 28-42.

No comments:

Post a Comment